How many times have we lived in an apartment but
not paid any attention to its cleanliness? How many times have we read in
newspapers about the plight of ‘Senior Citizens’? How good a citizen are we?
The only way to prove this is not by taking to the streets or harping about it on talkshows. The way to do it is the following:-
1. Every day in the evening, people who come
back from work, can take 15 minutes of time to take a round of their apartment.
During this time, they should try to pick all the pieces of waste or paper and
collect it in a garbage bag and dump it in the nearest garbage bin.
2. Those people not living in apartments, can do the same in their nearby streets so instead of having to depend on the civic agencies to do the cleaning, we can keep streets clean.
3. Each person can check the nearest dumping bins and inform the civic agencies of the same in case garbage is not collected on that day.
4. Each person should go and check in their apartment offices whether the phone number of the civic agencies are listed in the office records or not. If not, it is the duty of each person to file their complaint in the apartment office about it and ask them to get the required numbers listed.
5. Each person should make it a point to go and meet at least one ‘Senior Citizen’ of the society and talk to them on a regular basis – even if it is for 5 minutes each day. Regular interaction shall keep them very much integrated with the social fabric of our apartments.
6. Each person should host a simple tea get together on a specific day for a group of 5-10 ‘Senior Citizen’ once a month. The idea should be to get to know them and their whereabouts regularly.
These simple points do not take more than a half-hour on a regular basis. Needless to mention what these steps would help us achieve!! Remember those ancient mythological tales which propagate the importance of a well-knit society.
Nike might be known for its shoes, however we should remember it for its slogan – JUST DO IT!